Monday, June 2, 2008

Spicy (sub-continental) pasta

Don’t you just love haloumi cheese? I do – there’s something about the salty squeakiness that makes it too delicious. And speaking of delicious, I found this recipe in an old issue of delicious magazine.
It is an unusual combination, the Indian-style spices with haloumi and pasta. I added some zucchini because I wanted more vegetables in the dish, and also increased the amount of chilli, mainly because I don’t like coriander, so didn’t put it in. And I didn't have the curry leaves, either, but it still tasted great.

Here is the recipe.

Spicy Haloumi Pasta

Ingredients (serves 4)
400g haloumi cheese
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp garam masala*
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
10 fresh curry leaves*
400g can chopped tomatoes
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
300g cooked spiral pasta
3 tbs chopped coriander
Naan bread and mango chutney, to serve

Method
1. Cut the haloumi into 1cm cubes. Toss in 1 tablespoon oil and all the dry spices.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until softened. Add the haloumi and curry leaves, and cook until haloumi is golden. Add the tomato and chilli flakes, then bring to the boil. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in the pasta and cook until heated through.
3. Remove from the heat and stir through the coriander. Divide among bowls and serve with naan and chutney.


Recipe from delicious. June 2006




2 comments:

  1. I'm crazy for Halloumi. I can easily eat a whole packet of it whereas I am not such a huge eater of other cheeses. This recipe sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lorraine - I'm exactly the same - a bit iffy with cheese as a whole, but love haloumi (and maybe bocconcini).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin