Thursday, August 27, 2009

Playtime with Chicken Noodle Soup and Legs


I've been subsisting on Continental Cup-a-Soup (chicken noodle) for the past day or so because I have a cold. But I thought it might be better to try some 'proper' chicken noodle soup, which is where this recipe comes in.

I had been given some hokkien noodles and gai larn vegetables by mum (her radar probably knew I was coming down with a lurgy), so I threw them into a saucepan with some chicken thigh pieces and chicken stock and consomme. The result was a delicious, filling and healthful Asian-style soup.

Gosh, I feel better already!


Ooh, Look: Chicken Noodle Soup

serves 4

Ingredients

1 tblsp minced ginger
1 tblsp minced garlic
1 tblsp vegetable oil
2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
2 cups chicken consomme
4 skinless chicken thigh fillets
2 tblsp reduced-salt soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tsp brown sugar
1 bunch gai larn or baby bok choy
450g fresh thin hokkien noodles

Method

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic and stir for about 15 seconds. Add chicken stock and bring to the boil.

2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add chicken thighs to the stock. Cook for 5-7 minutes until cooked through. Remove chicken and slice.

3. Add consomme, soy sauce, sesame oil and brown sugar to the stock. Increase heat and bring to the boil.

4. Add green vegetables and heat until wilted, about 1 minute.

5. Add the hokken noodles to the saucepan and loosen with a fork. Simmer for about 2 minutes until they soften slightly.

6. Return the chicken to the soup to heat through

7. Serve the noodles in bowls, sprinkled with spring onion, if you like.


Ingredients, including hokkien noodles, ginger, garlic, sesame oil,
chicken stock and consomme, greens and chicken thighs

Add greens to the boiling soup, then the hokkien noodles. Stir in the chicken


Chicken noodle soup - perfect for feeling better.


Another thing that helped my recovery was a cake from Adriano Zumbo. It was the 'Legs' cake again, and this time, I had a bit of a play with it.
I had to stop eventually, when someone yelled 'Will you stop playing with those legs and cut it up'. Oh, well, that's enough fun for one day.

15 comments:

  1. Oooh I hope you feel better!

    The leg cake is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get well soon!

    That's interesting to put brown sugar in the soup!

    LOL you playing with the legs! Those layers look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha.. I like that legs.. so its like an opera cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pictures of the legs! I'd never have the patience for so many photos before eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that soup looks so good, I can almost feel the germs leaving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those legs are made for eatin', and that's just what you'll do...

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always crave chicken noodle soup when I'm sick too and nothing beats homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe. The legs cake looks cool! I wouldn't be able to stop playing with it either. Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha - I can imagine the frustration of the non-food blogger friends watching you handling the legs this way and that, taking photos, adjusting light angles when all they want to do is eat it!

    Hope the chicken soup cured your cold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Noodle Soups. They are so good on a cold winter day. I'm going to try this recipe this weekend. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha I love the leg cake! And good to see that you finally got some more Zumbo :) And I hope you feel better soon Belle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I make a really similar bok choy chicken soup and I think it's much better for treating a cold than regular chicken noodle!

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad to hear that the chicken noodle soup got you feeling better. nothing cures sickness better than yummy food and a fun piece of leggy cake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wishing you a quick recovery, Belle! The legs in the top three shots make me think of synchronized swimming - if you ever get two of them side by side, I'd love to see what you come up with *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Anh - thanks, I'm almost back to 'normal'!

    hi Rilsta - yes, the brown sugar in the soup gives it a lovely sweetness.

    hi beansprout - the cake has bitter chocolate layered with hazelnut meringue - is that Opera cake? It also has cardamom, which I didn't like :(

    hi Arwen - it was fun playing, and fun to eat too!

    hi YaYa - I think I recovered faster by eating the soup than from taking antibiotics!

    hi Conor - '...and they'll walk all over you!'. Thank you!

    hi Cookie - homemade is definitely better, even if it takes longer to make!

    hi Betty - it's really run to muck around with the legs. Ahem, that sounds strange...

    hi Forager - I think most people I know are used to my faffing around with food now. I'm sure you have the same experiences!

    hi A cupcake or two - I hope you like the recipe as much as I did.

    hi Lorraine - yes, it's a bit of a relief having Zumbo cake again.

    hi Cate - it's nice having something simple and homemade, isn't it? I'd prefer bok choy, but didn't have any.

    hi panda - I'm feeling much better, thanks. Soup and cake = perfect combo.

    hi Lin Mei - what a great idea! I could choreograph a routine for them and enter them in the Olympics!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin