Sunday, August 2, 2009

Hello Cookie: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ta dah! The 'Hello Cookie' project presents: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

First up, these are not the most attractive cookie ever baked; their rustic shape, however, is a good indicator to the healthy stuff inside – rolled oats, raisins, and – chocolate?

The provenance of oatmeal raisin cookies can be traced back to the American brand, Quaker Oats, with the recipe for the cookies first being found on their oat containers in the early 1900s. they are also a very easy cookie to make, so are suitable for beginner bakers.

After reading up on the best way to make this cookie, I found that chilling the dough (after it has been mixed, or even after it has been rolled into balls) will ensure that the cookie doesn’t flatten during baking, resulting in a thick, chewy cookie that is bursting with oaty, raisin-y goodness.

And what about the chocolate? Well, I had some dark chocolate chips lying around, so I added just under ½ a cup. Walnuts and/or cranberries would also be a tasty addition.


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Makes 45

Ingredients
½ cup (113g) butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar (or mixture of brown sugar and white sugar)
1 egg
½ tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup plain (all-purpose) flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups rolled oats (quick oats are fine, but do not use instant oats, as it is too fine in texture)
¾ cup raisins

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until there are no more lumps.
3. Sift in the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix until combine.
4. Stir in the oats and raisins (and choc chips, if desired)
5. Roll teaspoonfuls of the dough into balls and place 3cm apart on a lined baking sheet. The entire tray can be chilled for about 10 minutes, if you like.
6. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown (do not overcook, as you want them soft in the centre).
7. Cool on trays before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.



Ingredients (butter not shown)

Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla; sift in flour; add choc chips


Roll dough into balls; bake until golden brown


Whoo-hoo! Yummy goodness!

11 comments:

  1. Mmm I have oatmeal with raisins for breakfast pretty much everyday, so I'm sure they would taste awesome in cookie form! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum!
    i made my first batch of cookies the other week (white choc chip cookies) and it was so much fun baking them (& then eating hehe)

    these look really BITEY and crunchy type, can you make them soft as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love oats, and I love raisins. My daily breakfast without fail is the apple & sultana oats but hmmm what if i make these cookies and crumble them on to a plain bowl of oats? Hmmmmmm that's a nice thought... might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cookies that are good for you, sounds like cookies that I should be eating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these kind of cookies. These sound like they'd be so addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes oatmeal cookies aren't that photogenic but they taste amazing :) Hehe how cute is Mr Owl?! I love owls and looked into getting a taxidermied one to no avail :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding choc chips was a great idea! Cute owl too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay! I have a crap load of Bi-carb soda left from a biscuit I was making. I can use it to make the oatmeal and raisin cookies. Hmm I'm not a huge fan of raisin, what do you think I should substitute it for?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belle!
    I've been paying off Red Roll LOL. I swear that place doesn't do wonders for my hips LOL

    Loving the oatmeal & raisin cookies! always looking forward to healthy cooking.

    Definitely perfect for the afternoon. I can imagine dipping these into team.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the cookies look great. Love the cute background as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Steph - good on you for being so healthy. Cookies are good, too, aren't they?

    hi Betty - white choc chip are the BEST! Theses cookies are actually really soft and chewy - yummy!

    hi Trisha - you are so creative, I'm sure it would look and taste great if you did that.

    hi Maria - that's the way I like to think, hehe!

    hi Betty - they are definitely addictive. I've only got 4 left from the ones I made on the weekend *ahem*

    hi Lorraine - a stuffed owl, that is so weird (and so you!). Are you still trying to get one?

    hi Arwen - I had the choc chips left over, so why not, eh?

    hi Linda - I think any type of sweet juicy fruit would be good, like chopped dried apricots or craisins. And I keep a small jar of bicarb in the microwave to absorb smells (take it out when the microwave is on).

    hi Leona - oh, gosh Red Roll has a lot to answer for. Maybe have a roll for lunch and a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies to counteract it??

    hi Anh - thanks so much. I love the owl paper because they look kooky!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin