Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Smoked Salmon Quinoa patties not suitable for cats

These are some delicious quinoa patties!

They are so easy to make, cook up a treat and taste amazing. What more could you ask for? Well, I could ask for a Tabitha cat that doesn't have such a sensitive nose that she can smell seafood (or any food) from a mile away. Never mind, I've got the making of these patties down to a fine art, so no sooner than I have the salmon out of the packet then it's in the bowl being shaped into patties. Nothing like a greedy, beady-eyed cat to make you work faster...

Speaking of smoked salmon, I use Tassal brand 'Smoked Salmon for Cooking', which I get from the supermarket. It's a lot more economical than normal smoked salmon because, although it does have some brown flesh (and the occasional bone), appearance doesn't matter so much when you are throwing the fish into a pasta or other cooked dish. You could also use leftover roast chicken in these patties, and you'll still get the goodness of the quinoa.  Win/win!

Quinoa and Smoked Salmon Patties
makes 8

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup quinoa
200g (1 cup) smoked salmon pieces or offcuts
1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 red chilli, finely diced
pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
2 tblsp chives or spring onions, finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
salt and pepper

Method
1. For the quinoa: In a medium saucepan, bring the water to the boil and add the quinoa. Cover the pan and reduce heat to simmer, then cook for 10-15 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside until the quinoa cools slightly.
2. To make the patties: Mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl with the quinoa. Take 3 tablespoons of the mixture and use your hands to form into a flat, burger-shaped patty, pressing together firmly. Place the patties on a plate and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serve warm or cooled, with mayonnaise or a squeeze of lime.

Ingredients, including quinoa, breadcrumbs (I used coarse panko crumbs), eggs, salmon offcuts, chives, chilli and lime

After cooking the quinoa, mix with the other ingredients to form patties

A lovely golden crust forms on the patties, like rice cakes, but tastier.

I like to serve these quinoa patties with wasabi mayonnaise, but they're just as sublime with a squeeze of lime.

Tabitha cat was lurking in the shadows, attracted by the scent of juicy salmon (she didn't get any of these quinoa patties, though *evil cackle* haha!)

19 comments:

  1. i am borrowing this recipe!! Looks great!

    My cat, Den, doesn't like fish. she's very keen on beef though. So we have a fight all the time ahha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ha, I love that last picutre with Tabitha lurking in the background - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your photos! So vibrant. And smoked salmon is one of my favourite foods :D You must have a tough time keeping Tabitha away from all your lovely cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last picture too. I think my cat Dodo will jump straight on the patties without inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure the smell of salmon would call my dog over as well! She has a nose that can smell meat from a mile away! These patties sound delicious! Smoked salmon is such an interesting thing to add to them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS is what i call a great lunch recipe! awesome post, i'm all over this! smoked vs roasted salmon is an interesting touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw those beady eyes. Tabitha says "give me some of this and that green tea you made the other day! Pronto"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gaaaah, I'm in love with this idea...it looks delicious..I LOOOOOVE salmon so much and I love the coating you have...just more protein in it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look great - I cant wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha I know what you mean. We got a kitten a couple of weeks ago and although I havent made anythingwith fish yet, she hangs around like a crazy woman when I'm chopping beef!
    These look awesome Bel :) Iv got a veggie coming over for dinner on the weekend so I might add these to the list of possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the look of the texture which the quinoa gives to the patties. Do the patties bind well, or do bits of quinoa drop about everywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi mlle délicieuse - the patties stick pretty well as long as you squash them tightly together before cooking. And be careful when turning them in the frypan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i just saw tassal smoked salmon today at the supermarket for the first time! haha.

    these patties look pretty AND delicious AND wholesome. a great way to use up my quinoa too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks absolutely stunning and not to forget delicious! I've fallen in love with quinoa, and I think I shall attempt this dish! Noms!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I try to add quinoa to all my salads. I love the texture it gives food. Its delicious too. Bel I will be making this for dinner this week. It looks so yummy and isn't so naughty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like such a tasty, healthy meal. I love your suggestion that it is versatile enough to use other left over meats. I love your last pic with Tabitha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These patties look like they're packed with flavour and I love the idea of the quinoa packing an extra texture punch. I'd love to try these with a dill mayo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these patties, they are fantastic! They stay together really well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin