Sunday, June 5, 2011

Ricotta pancakes to reduce paper footprint

hi, I'm Bel and I'm addicted to online shopping
hi, I'm Bel and I'm a magazine-aholic
hi, I'm Bel and I'm a cookbook addict
...
hi. I'm Bel. I'm a lost cause.

I read today that the average adult buys 28 kilograms (56 lb) of clothes per year, and probably throws out the same amount. Also today, I cleaned out my wardrobes and came up with 3 HUGE bags of clothes to be thrown out, gifted to relatives, and donated to St Vinnies. The reason for the cleanout was my recent spending on sites such as asos.com, topshop.com and modcloth.com, and no more wardrobe space. I blame the strong Aussie dollar that makes the clothes overseas soooo gorgeously tempting. It's not my fault, right?

No one seems to have done a survey on the number of magazines and cookbooks bought and recycled per annum, but if they did, I would be in the upper percentile of conspicuous consumers. I MUST somehow get an e-reader to reduce my paper footprint on the planet and reduce the fire risk at my place. I currently do not have an e-reader, so it's not my fault, right?

This recipe for breakfast ricotta pancakes is courtesy of the 'mini cookbook collection' issued by taste.com.au recently. From Gary Mehigan's Comfort Food, the cookbook measures 13cmx13cm, so it is indeed mini. If only other cookbook makers would follow suit, it would make my paper collection a lot smaller.

Ricotta Pancakes
serves 4

Ingredients
250g self-raising flour
pinch of table salt
50g caster sugar
1 egg
300 ml milk
25g unsalted butter
75g firm ricotta, drained and crumbled
vegetable oil or butter, for cooking

Method
1. Sift the flour and salt together, then add the sugar. In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk together, then add to the flour mixture. Beat well with a whisk to remove any lumps.
2. Melt the butter in a frypan over low heat until it bubbles and becomes nut-brown. Whisk the brown butter into the batter then stir in the ricotta; don't worry if there are a few lumps.
3. Heat a heavy-based non-stick frypan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil. Place a small ladleful of the batter into the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. When bubbles appear on the surface, gently turn the pancake over and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Transfer pancake to a plate and repeat with remaining batter. This should make about 8 pancakes.
4. Serve the pancakes with butter and maple syrup or honey.

Ingredients, including flour, milk, egg and ricotta cheese

Lovely light and fluffy pancakes.
But it does take time to make 8 pancakes, so you need to keep the cooked ones warm while you stand over the stove and pour and check and flip and cook, and pour and check and flip...

Umm, yeah.
Things go better with Bacon.

24 comments:

  1. OH BEL, you've done it again. they look amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! they look so fluffy, just how i like my pancakes. and with that bacon on the side... oh god, perfect for this lazy sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these mini cookbook series! Definitely gives you a good taste of the current popular cookbooks. These ricotta pancakes look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I was worried for a second you had served these without bacon. I should have known better than to doubt you :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There, What a beautiful post and recipe!
    I love ricotta pancakes and these pancakes look absolutely mouth-watery :)

    Have a great day,

    Aldy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't own that many cookbooks and magazines, so I don't think I've ever thrown away any yet :D Though I'd have to say- an e-reader just isn't the same :) These pancakes looks delicious! I've never made ricotta pancakes before....but these look so light and fluffy- I want some for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like eating for a cause! I'd selflessly eat a whole tower of these. lol. And I love pancakes with bacon and maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Umm yeah. My room is LITTERED with cookbooks and cooking mags. It's a disaster.

    But these pancakes? SOOO not a disaster. Utterly delicious in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK I'm addicted to online shopping too! I'm moving soon and dread cleaning out my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is nothing like some delicious ricotta pancakes for breakfast. They look delicious Bell. Damn you Aussie Dollar. Why is it so good at the moment. ehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe online shopping is just so addictive but oh baby bacon + pancakes are much win

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a To Do list a mile long today. I can't believe Ricotta pancakes just zoomed to the very top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is most certaily not your fault that online shopping is sooo tempting at the moment ;)
    Also loving the mini cook books, more of those I say!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I too am addicted to asos :( but its so damn cheap and the reversed seasons means its always on sale! It would be a crime not to buy it ;)
    Bel your pancakes look amazing! Great Sunday breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh yes a good point! I hope that my voracious reading of the news online means that I have helped somewhat but then again how many cookbooks do I have? Eeek! :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, they look so fluffy...and I am sure that must taste delicious with the ricotta. Like the mini cookbooks as well...have a great week Bel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pancakes look so soft and fluffy! And served with bacon! wow..that's just terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nommy nom nom! These sound so simple but look absolutely delish. Havn't tried adding ricotta to my pancakes before, maybe I will have to after seeing this.
    I like having physical cookbooks to flip through... digital versions just arn't the same =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been meaning to do a Vinnies run for ages, but haven't had the time for it :S

    Mmmm, bacon and cheese....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pancakes - they look very tempting.
    I have an e-reader, bought in an attempt to reduce my book habit. Sadly, with little effect so far. I have found it enables me to justify the purchase of even more cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You really got me with the title on this one! How can pancakes reduce your paper footprint? Paper's not an ingredient is it? I'm glad to hear it isn't, and I completely understand your penchant for cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey i wanted to make these over the weekend too! yours look great xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I collected all the cookbooks just because they're so cute! And Bill Granger has some pretty awesome ricotta pancakes too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin