Perfect timing today when a tweet popped up from @GourmetTweets for Orecchiette with sausage, rocket and tomato. Bingo! Dinner tonight was solved!
A quick detour to pick up some pork and fennel sausages (from David Jones Food Hall) and I was set. By the way, why are pork and fennel sausages so expensive compared to other pork sausages ($36.99/kg vs $16.99/kg!). The exxy sausages were fantastic, though with the sharp bite of fennel seeds throughout the meat.
And although the recipe states ‘Orecchiette’, I used large shells instead. And I forgot the onion. But it was very good!
Orecchiette with sausage, rocket and tomato
2 tsp olive oil
1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
4 pork and fennel sausages (about 500g), casings removed
4 roma tomatoes (about 500g), coarsely chopped
400g dried orecchiette pasta
Shaved parmesan or pecorino, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic and chilli for 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add sausage to onions and break meat into pieces using the back of a spoon.
3. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until the sausage is golden and cooked through.
4. Add tomato and rocket, season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
5. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente.
6. Drain and add to the sausage mixture. Toss to combine.
Serve with shaved parmesan or pecorino.
Recipe adapted from Gourmet Traveller website.