Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolute zucchini and pomegranate

Here we are in a new year!

I'm not usually one for resolutions, but I believe the old chestnut, "Eat healthier" is traditionally trotted out, so that will be my resolution this year. Oh, and "Buy less stuff" should be added to the list as well, because I purchase so many unnecessary things, it's affecting my well-being (no room to move in the house and guilty conscience about the carbon footprint) - so fewer  magazines, scrapbooking supplies and online dresses and handbags for me this year.

To help things along, here's a relatively healthy dish. You are supposed to shallow-fry the zucchini, but in the interests of good-for-you-ness, it's probably okay to reduce the oil.

PS: Does anyone have experience with salicylate sensitivity? I'm doing a bit of self-diagnosis and salicylates are next on my list of things that might be affecting me.

Fried zucchini with balsamic dressing
serves 4

Ingredients
3-4 tblsp olive oil (for shallow frying)
4 medium zucchini, quartered
1/2 pomegranate, seeds removed

Balsamic dressing
1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tblsp honey
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes

Method
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add the zucchini and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. When cooked, remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain.
2. For the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients until combined.
3. To serve: Arrange the zucchini on a plate, season with salt and pepper and pour over some of the dressing. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds before serving.

recipe adapted from delicious (Nov 2011)

Ingredients, including festive pomegranate and year-round zucchini.
To easily remove the seeds from the pomegranate, use the 'whack a pom' method.

The dressing just needs to be whisked together.

Serve the pomegranate seeds on the fried zucchini for a bright-tasting combination


PPS: Check out my Sydney fireworks photos on my Craft blog, here

17 comments:

  1. I've never been one to set any kind of resolution for myself so I'll carry on wreaking havoc throughout the year.
    Great recipe! Was kind of expecting to see pomegranate molasses in there somewhere, but I guess it would clash with the balsamic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, this looks fantastic. I had a salad with pomegranate in it a few weeks ago and it was lovely.

    My resolution is to be less...fat, so I'm cutting down on eating desserts and junk good. Oh, and I guess buy less too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to not really make resolutions this year so much as positive life attitudes to have. I'm focusing on what I CAN do instead of what I SHOULD or CAN'T do.

    And what I CAN do is eat this healthy deliciousness! I've been in such a pomegranate mood lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love finding new zucchini recipes and this one looks awesome! My most recent zucchini recipe was a lemon and mint grilled zucchini.. delicious. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah now here is a healthy recipe that I can make! There has been some serious overindulgence this Christmas for me! I love the bling of the pom seeds on this! You know how to make a dish look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol I should totally join the "buy less stuff" bandwagon :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought this idea would be good for zuchinnis too. I always pan fry eggplant and add balsamic too, or soy sauce with a bit of lemon and crushed garlic. I am excited to try out this version.
    I agree, I should buy less stuff this year too...stuff I don't really need. Thanks for letting me realize that! Have a great 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. quite and interesting combination of flavors but it sounds good, I've never tried fried zucchini before

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHat a combination of flavors! It looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a fuss free, delicious and healthy new year treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like the simplicity of this zucchini, light and so tasty with the pomegranate and balsamic vinegar.
    Yeah! Like the idea of buying less, especially things that are really needed...my husband would be happy to read this ;-)
    Happy New Year Bel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a beautiful dish! I am trying to eat healthier, more veggies and all, so I think I am going to try this soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Bel,

    This looks great and I will definitely make an effort to cook with pomegranate this year as I've overlooked this beautiful ingredient for so long now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you... but no resolutions this year. just let it be and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im totally on the same page as you!! Get healthy is one of my resolutions this year and this dish looks perfect for it! Plus it looks quite simple to make too, always an added bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice. I like the contrast between the green zuchinni and the red berries.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin