Thursday, May 5, 2011

Coconut Macaroonies

This is just a quick post (quick as in not too much text, but same number of pictures as usual). I had some coconut left over from when I made these Anzac biscuits and wanted to use it up.
Coconut is easily forgotten at my house because it's stuck in the back of the cupboard in a container with some walnut crumbs, choc bits and slivered almonds with expiry dates from 2003 to 2007. I keep the said walnuts, choc bits and almonds 'just in case'. The same can be said for some skinny size XXS jeans in my wardrobe from 1996, but that's another story...

Anyway, this is a great recipe for using up desiccated coconut. I've been making this recipe since about 1996, which is probably why I am no longer a size XXS.

Coconut macaroons
makes about 30

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 tblsp self-raising flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla essence


Method
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F.
2. Put desiccated coconut, caster sugar and sifted flour into a bowl.
3. Stir in egg, milk and vanilla and mix well.
4. Use your hands to roll spoonfuls of the mixture into walnut-sized balls, and place on a baking tray lined with aluminium foil.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes or until slightly golden.


These macaroons are best eaten on the day they are made, or store in an air-tight container for up to 1 day.

Ingredients - milk, sugar, desiccated coconut, an egg, vanilla essence. Flour not shown.
 
Just mix the ingredients together and roll it into balls and bake. Easy.
 
These macaroons are lovely when served warm, just out of the oven.
 
Hmm, they look a bit like potato balls, don't they? The teacup in the background gives it away, though.
 
Delicious coconut macaroonies, perfect for a Mother's Day afternoon tea.
I call them 'macaroonies' because that's what they look like.

16 comments:

  1. Macaroonies! I want to make them based on the name alone! So cute.

    I am no longer a size XXS either. And I wholeheartedly blame food blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love coconut. Stud isnt a fan so I try and sneak it in when I can and just dont tell him haha. I wonder if these will get past him if I just call them Macaroonies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. gee they look these golden balls of macaroonies look too good! yeah why do we still keep those skinny skinny jeans?! a girl can hope i guess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the look of these... will have to give them a whirl. Thanks for sharing, and your pantry sounds like mine - things get lost in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eheh, I often have odd bits of ingredients past their best-before dates as well! Husband tells me to throw them out but if they've not got mould on them or gone rancid then I keep them around like you "just in case".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Macaroonies! Too adorable. These wouldn't last 10 seconds in my household

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh macaroons rule... everyone loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love coconut macaroons, yummie texture and you are right, perfect for Mother's Day :-) Have a great weekend Bel :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the shape of these macaroons. I usually do lumps but I love this as an alternative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean about the elderly ingredients in the back of the cupboard - I think we are all guilty of that.
    These look very nice and I love your tea set!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, this reminds me of the much forgotten dessicated coconut I have in my pantry too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My love for such things means XXS jeans are never going to live in my wardrobe, let alone on my hips, but my coconut love it too strong to let me address this situation. I'm ok with that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. And one of the macaroons has already sustained a bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your macaroonies look wonderful - especially straight out of the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look super tasty... and super cute. I really love a bite-sized cookie, probably because I get to eat more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So easy and so good!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin