This is a treasure chest of glistening jewels and healthfulness.
There are many recipes for Jewelled Rice, but they all have in common the ingredients of rice (!) and the jewel colours from dried fruits like cherries or cranberries, and saffron and pistachios. This recipe is from Jamie Oliver, so while it's probably not that authentic, the flavours are spot on and it's really easy to make.
Speaking of being easy to make (and where there's simplicity - I'm there), I served the rice with a pomegranate and walnut chicken. It's another straightforward effort made even easier because it's on the page following the jewelled rice in jamie magazine. What's another word for lazy? C'est moi!
200g red, wild, brown or basmati rice, cooked
1x400g can of lentils
75g pistachios, chopped
100g dried cranberries or dried sour cherries, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Large bunch of mint, leaves picked and roughly chopped
2 tblsp fried onions
Extra-virgin olive oil
1. Place the lentils in a large bowl with the cooked rice, pistachios, cranberries and lemon juice, and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Add the mint and a drizzle of olive oil, then toss to mix.
3. Serve sprinkled with the fried onions
Pomegranate and walnut chicken
4 chicken thighs, fillets or with bone in
3 tblsp pomegranate molasses
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tblsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 red onions, quartered
Handful of rocket leaves
1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Place the chicken in a roasting tray and pour over the molasses. Season well, then sprinkle with the cinnamon and olive oil. Add the garlic, onion and walnuts and toss. Cover with foil and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and roast for a further 15 minutes until the chicken is golden, sticky and cooked through.
2. Scatter the rocket leaves over the chicken before serving.
recipes adapted from jamie magazine
Some of the colourful ingredients, including dried cranberries, pistachios, red onion and lemon (juice).
The chicken before and after cooking, moist with pomegranate molasses, garlic and walnuts.
The cinnamon spice in the chicken and jewelled rice bring a Middle Eastern flavour to the meal
The rice is served with fried onions on top. I used brown rice and its nutty flavour goes well with the cranberries, mint and lemon
A colourful dish is so easy to eat!