Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Not white rice - Spanish rice with chorizo and prawns


You've probably heard of the Chinese way of starting a conversation: "Have you eaten yet?" or another way of hearing it is, "Have you eaten rice yet?".
It sort of emphasises the Chinese reliance on rice and the feeling that no meal is complete without a bowl or two of rice, preferably plain, boiled rice.  In fact, I have relatives who insist on having buckets of hot, fluffy, white rice on hand even at family barbeques, because they know they won't like the food much (overcooked sausages? tough steak? 'just a small piece for me, thanks') and the rice will fill them up.

As a result of this mentality while growing up, I've never really liked white rice. Now that I'm older, I can see when the comfort of a bowl of rice is just the thing - when you're feeling peaky, for example.

And when confronted with an empty frypan at the end of a long day, there's nothing like throwing in a couple of ingredients, some rice and stock and coming up with .... delicious Spanish rice!

 
Spanish rice with prawns and chorizo
serves 2

Ingredients
1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1 red capsicum (pepper), chargrilled and peeled
1 chorizo, sliced
150g paella rice (or other short grain rice)
pinch of saffron
300ml chicken stock
100g prawns, peeled and cooked
parsley and lemon, to serve

Method
1.  Heat the olive oil in a shallow frypan over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until the onion softens, about 5 minutes.
2.  Add the capsicum and chorizo and cook until the chorizo slices are browned on both sides.
3.  Add the rice and stir until coated in the oil.
4.  Stir the saffron into the chicken stock then add to the pan and stir well.  Cook the rice, covered, for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the stock is absorbed.
5.  Stir in the prawns until heated through.
6.  Serve with lemon juice squeezed over and topped with parsley

Recipe adapted from olive magazine

Ingredients, including store-bought chargrilled capsicum

Serve the rice with lemon juice - and maybe some marinated olives

This paella-style dish is very easy to cook and really tastes good.
And it's just as comforting as plain boiled rice.

15 comments:

  1. I have Chinese relatives who can survive lunch without rice but where dinner MUST be accompanied by rice. It helps settle the stomach and sleep better, apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sat here for a while wondering what to say, because I was just staring at the photo thinking "mmmmmmmmm rice" and couldn't progress from that. Thus, mmmmmmmmmmmmm rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EASY Paella, squeeee! That looks so good and it's wonderful that you can actually make just enough for two, I always feel I'm undercooking unless there's leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think rice is a staple of some form in almost every culture. I do have an embarrassing love for plain rice smothered in soy sauce. But that's just my salt addiction talking. This paella sounds fantastic! Chorizo just makes most things taste amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My Bel! I love white rice-it's my weakness. And this Spanish version with shrimp and chorizo sounds awesome-really. It's kind of a meal in and of itself I suppose?!
    p.s. Oh, and I didn't know that a Chinese greeting is sometimes to ask about eating rice yet-that's sweet (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like rice, all kinds and however it cooks! :) This is wonderful though. Paella...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny thing is that I don't hear people I know greet others with 'Have you eaten yet?'.....haha
    I'm always confused when people say that =)

    This looks really tasty! I've never really liked white rice either! But at times it is quite comforting....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! Chorizo is such a great ingredient for many dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, yes, yes! Your BBQ memory is so akin to mine! Our families are obviously related in some way! He he! And lovely idea to use up leftover rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I'm foodwink and I'm addicted to white rice :) Or any rice dishes for that matter. Love what you have done here - chorizo and prawn is always a winning combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I'm glad I read your post as I was sitting down to write my shopping list - now I've added this delicious and colourful dish to this weeks menu. Thanks Bel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh yum! Rice does give some sort of comfort, some days mum would feed us everything but rice and then I'll suddenly have a craving for a bowl of rice (to be eaten with other foods of course).

    ReplyDelete
  13. you say Chorizo I am here in the minute !! bravo for the risotto !
    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  14. damn this looks so awesome!! chorizo is just the best isnt it?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Something tells me this would be a bit more comforting than plain rice. I love chorizo!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin