Monday, August 30, 2010

Hello Chinese Almond Cookies - take two (or three)


This is an 'encore' presentation of a Chinese Almond Cookie production.

Don't you love it when television networks trumpet a 'special event' or 'encore' of a show that was just on the other day? It's a REPEAT, for cryin' out loud!  And if it was any good the first time, I would have watched it then, and not waited for a repeat.

But this is different.... I make these cookies all the time and they are guaranteed delicious.  I just want everyone to know about them and maybe try the recipe at least once.  And this time, I've taken some (hopefully) nicer photos. All the better to tempt you with...  *cackle* *cackle*

Chinese Almond Cookies
Makes about 50

Ingredients
2 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup almond meal
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (250g) unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
½ cup flaked almonds for decoration
1 egg, beaten, for egg wash

Method
1. Sift flour, almond meal, sugar, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside.
2. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter until smooth.
3. Add the egg and almond extract, and mix until combined.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just combined.
5. Turn out the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and form into a disk. Cover dough and refrigerate for 20 minutes until firm.
6. Preheat oven to 325 deg F (165 deg C). Line baking sheets with paper.
7. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Flatten balls slightly with palm of your hand.
8. Place a sliced almond in the centre of each cookie. Brush top of cookie with beaten egg..
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes (rotate baking sheets halfway through). The cookies should be light golden on top.
10. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Ingredients, including almond meal and flaked almonds for decoration. 
This time, I also used raw caster sugar (the light brown stuff) that I picked up at the Good Food and Wine Show.
No discernible difference to the taste, but it seems healthier...

The mixed dough is wrapped in plastic and chilled for 20 minutes. Then it's rolled into balls and brushed with beaten egg, then baked.

A plate of cookies served with a cup of jasmine tea is perfect.

Now can you understand why these are (one of) my favourite cookies?

Maybe you need to try them to find out  =)

20 comments:

  1. beau6tiful cookies! These are my fav, too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth repeating again and again, love these delicate little morsels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like the perfect afternoon tea snack. Very pretty and quite simple. Your photos make them very appealing too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. In this case, encore is good because I missed it the first time you posted it =) They look really yummy! I think my family will like these....they look sorta like the cookies they give you at the end of the meal at chinese restaurants =) Another one of your recipes to add to my 'to try' list...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try them, Bel! And they're not a boring repeat for me at least (smile)... Plus, I am again seeing almond flour and I really need to get or make some with my almonds. Yeah & Yummerz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to try these out so I can bring them to my neighbor's house on Chinese new year. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've learned that if bloggers ever repost a recipe...it means that it's really truly good. I love almond-infused anything! I'll totally have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only make these for Chinese New Year but you are right, they are good any other day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies along with Haw flakes are such a blast from the past! I'm suddenly a kid again :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these Chinese almond cookies look good...would definitely have it with a cup of tea...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two or three? I'll take the lot thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. yummy! i love these! i've added ur recipe to my next to-bake list :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hehe, I also like it when they say something is on at a "very special time" when really they've just replaced its original timeslot with something they think will get higher ratings.

    These look so pretty it makes me very sad about my hate-hate relationship with almond extract!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look really good Bel - no wonder you make em all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww...I love these! Especially when served at the end of a wedding banquet or with a complimentary fruit platter by some Chinese restaurants at the end of a meal =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. can I have one? :) looks so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The ones I had have always been a little bland or dry... bet yours are delicious! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are one of my favourite cookies. I've just made them using your recipe and they are delicious! Thank you so much for sharing it. Do you mind if I post the recipe on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi yen@foodforfour - so glad you liked the cookies. And you're welcome to post the recipe on your lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Was craving for almond biscuit and came across your blog. I made the cookies for the first time, they were scrumptious and crunchy! So good that i made them again. Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin