Fact: Barbeques = meat overload
Fact: Meat overload = opp(Sides + sides + sides)
Don't get me wrong, I love a summer BBQ. But sometimes, you need something a bit different to counteract all that meatiness. Like seafood, or some interesting side dishes to serve with your steak. And no, I don't mean boring salads.
Here are two sides that complement roast lamb particularly well. The olive salsa is great on barbequed meat, like lamb. The asparagus with prosciutto can be thrown on the barbeque to cook while the meat is resting.
makes about 1 cup
1 cup (120g) pitted green or black olives (or a combination of the two), finely diced
1 tblsp olive oil
1 tblsp mint, chopped
1 tblsp parsley, chopped
1 tblsp red onion, finely chopped
2 anchovies, chopped
1 tblsp minced garlic
1. To ensure that the olives and herbs are finely chopped, you can put them into a food processor and whizz for a couple of seconds
2. Then combine all ingredients in a bowl and cover and refrigerate until needed.
3. Serve on sliced barbequed lamb
Asparagus with prosciutto
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed (ie. ends cut off and peeled if necessary)
4 slices prosciutto
1. Cut the prosciutto into 2 or 3 pieces, crosswise
2. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around a stalk of asparagus
3. Cook on a barbeque over medium heat for 5 minutes, until the prosciutto is crisp and the asparagus is cooked
4. Can be served immediately or is great served cold the next day.
Thanks to Nathan for this recipe idea!
Wrap prosciutto pieces around asparagus stalks before barbequeing
Serve olive salsa on the barbequed lamb with the asparagus and prosciutto